- Read Matthew 5:14-16
- Give your children a chance to open the "Surprise Ride!" certificate.
- Explain that you'll all be driving to a surprise destination.
- Drive to a location where there are lots of Christmas lights on display.
- Remind the children about the verse for today and point out how brightly the Christmas lights shine against the dark night. Explain that we can shine our lights in a dark world to make a big difference for people here.
Feel free to use the Christmas lights to further this lesson by pointing out dark spots and missing bulbs and how that can demonstrate a dark place needing light. Lots of lights in one space could further the analogy by emphasizing the power of lots of "lights" working together...range far and wide on this discussion if you have the time/attention span with your children.
- Pray with your family. Ask God to give your family the boldness to "let your light shine before others" by sharing the hope of Christ with a dark world.